Natural Digestive Supplements for Horses
The most common questions I receive from clients have to do with supplements. Many supplement options on the market today are full of fillers, chemicals, and additives. Here are 7 natural digestive supplements for horses, we recommend most often. These are not in any particular order. I like to address each horse as an individual and base my choices on their preferences and needs when possible. For the most part I believe an equine probiotic is a must for any horse that is a performance horse or who does not graze on fresh, “live” grasses/pasture.
Equine Digestive Supplement List
2. Aloe Vera Gel or Juice– Many horse owners turn to this great natural digestive supplement for horses, to soothe a digestive upset or even to aide in comforting ulcers. A very simple and beneficial equine digestive supplement to add to a clean grain ration. I like to feed 1/4 cup once per day for my horses.
3. Peppermint Essential Oil– Peppermint (Mentha piperita) is one of the oldest and most highly regarded herbs for supporting normal digestion, including promoting healthy intestinal function and gastrointestinal system comfort. You can add one or two drops of a therapeutic grade Peppermint essential oil to your horses grain or even a cookie as a equine digestive supplement.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar– Another simple and very affordable digestive supplement for horses. You can add 2 oz as a serving size to your horses current grain ration. In my experience, because of the strong odor, some horses may need to adjust to this option. So, add it in slowly over a few days. ACV is believed to help alkalize the digestive tract, especially the hind gut.
5. DiGize™ Young Living Essential Oil Blend– This blend is a must have pick for the barn! In the ADR Animal Desk Reference by Melissa Shelton DVM it is one of the essential oils mentioned in her colic protocol combined with Peppermint. DiGize™ is one of Young Living's exclusive and proprietary dietary supplements. This unique blend contains Ginger, Anise, Fennel, Peppermint, Tarragon, Lemongrass, Patchouli, and Juniper essential oils. To add this as an equine digestive supplement add 3-5 drops to grain or on a cookie.
6. Marshmallow Root– Usually available in your local health food store. This herb is a digestive health promoter known to aide with digestive problems, gastric ulcers, and diarrhea. To add this equine digestive supplement to your ration use a serving size between 1/2 a cup up to a full cup. Opinions vary on this serving size. I would start with the lesser amount. Horses have a very sensitive and effective digestive system.
7. Colostrum– ForeFront Equine describes the amazing benefits of using Colostrum, “As nature’s first food for newborns, colostrum supplies immune and growth nutrients and a balanced combination of vitamins and minerals. It contains proteins (antibodies) that fight disease-causing agents such as bacteria and viruses. It is proven to provide similar benefits for horses of any age or activity level. Colostrum also offers tremendous benefits to the gastrointestinal tract.” No doubt a great pick as an equine digestive supplement!
Prerequisites Before Utilizing Natural Digestive Supplements for Horses
When you don't know where to start…
It can be overwhelming and confusing to know how to best care for your horse. It seems there are so many opinions, facts, and conflicting information out there! We want to help empower you to individualize your horse's care with confidence and peace of mind… we designed a FREE PDF guide to get you started right now.
Get our 10 Tell Tale Signs Your Horse May Be Suffering From Dangerous Digestive Problems guide sent to your inbox right away. Click Here to download your copy today.
I hope you found value in this post. Please share via your favorite social media page to help us on our mission to promote horse health and wellness. You will find share buttons at the bottom of the post.
Life is better when you're horsin’ around!